Mission San Juan Capistrano is home to the oldest building in California still in use – Serra’s Chapel built in 1782.
Today, the mission compound serves as a museum, with the Serra Chapel within the compound serving as a chapel for the mission parish.
This image displays ruins of Great Stone Church. Completed, begun in 1797, damaged by an earthquake in 1800, and finally completed in 1806.
It was destroyed by another earthquake on December 8, 1812. The perspective of this image is warped due to the use of a fisheye lens.