A replica of the original cross erected at the site and the statue of Father Junipero Serra.
The fifth California mission founded by Father Junipero Serra September 1, 1772 in San Luis Obispo, in central coastal California.
Named after Saint Louis, Bishop of Toulouse, France.
The mission was established in an area known as the valley of the bears. The bears provided a much needed food source for the then starving Spanish missionaries. A fountain commemorates the bears which once inhabited San Luis Obispo.